Municipality

  • Buxu Cave

     

    CuevaElBuxu1

    Buxu Cave has a rich representation of parietal art belonging to the Solutrean and early Magdalenian. In the cave paintings and engravings of horses, goats, deer, bison… with geometric and zoomorphic figures combine.

    Also, Buxu cave has a large sample of different manifestations of movable art, featuring a sculpture of a carved on the tusk of a bear and a plaque of limestone carved with different motifs bird. The cave was discovered in 1916 and declared monument in 1985.

    Features of the visit:

    • Open all year.
    • Visits passes at 10:15, 11:15, 12:15, 13:15 hours. (Wednesday to Sunday)
    • Monday and Tuesday.
    • Capacity 25 visitors per day.
    • Access to children under 7 years old are not allowed.
    • Guided tour of 30 minutes.
    • Must make advance booking. Tel . +34608 175467 (in hours from 15 to 17 h.)
    • Normal 3,13 euros / Reduced 1,62 euros / Free Wednesday
    La Hospedería

     

    Also called Meson de ancient chronicles, it is a beautiful old house. It was built in 1763, it became abbot Don Nicolas Antonio Campomanes.

    Leaving the cave through the tunnel we find the Campanona. With a weight of four thousand kg. it was first prize and gold medal at the Paris Exposition Universelle of 190 .

    Casa de Canónigos

     

    Houses Library, Meeting Room, Throne Room, Chapterhouse, and Treasure Museum, with valuable jewels of the Virgin. Outside monumental statue of King Pelayo with the Victoria Cross in bronze by Gerardo Zaragoza.

    Caño

    salmonera

    Thee most famous salmon coarse fishing Sella where salmon stop to rest to continue their journey to the birthplace.

    Located in the town of Caño 2 km to Cangas de Onis towards the port Ponton before passing the Gorge of Beyos. Posiblemente one of the privileged sites for raising salmon in late season, so enjoy a real vision in an environment of magnetic attraction to water this river Sella that the Cantabrian sea south to north goes parading through the end of the Beyos .

    Corao

    Santa Eulalia de Abamia

    abamia

    National Monument. Abamia is traditionally linked to Pelayo and Covadonga. Tradition attributes its foundation to King D. Pelayo, Christianizing a place of worship precristianoy ensures that he and his wife Gaudiosa (737) were buried in this church until, in times of Alfonso X the Wise, his remains were transferred to Covadonga.

    Some consider this church, before the Arab invasion. Flanked by ancient yews, its architecture combines different eras and styles. It consists of a single nave is Romanesque-Gothic transition style, enclosing inside altomedievales remains belonging, presumably, to the primitive foundation. with a barrel vault with two pointed arches, which divide it into three sections, and one, higher, square head covered with vault.

    In the church today, it is worth noting the cornice of corbels Romanesque character, with representations of human heads, dragons, and other fantastic animals and the south porch, with semicircular arch slightly pointed, double flare, supported by double columns pairwise, and reproduces in its archivolts, a representation of hell, in which the popular tradition wants to see the eternal martyrdom of traitor bishop Oppas, who claim belongs human head protruding from the boiler, about which toiling a group of devils. It presents a simple and rough imafronte, with few holes, which are reduced to a narrow Gothic doorway, with ball screw in his only archivolt and a loophole to give light to the upper choir. The top level retranqueamiento side wall of the front, denoting the medieval reform of an earlier structure. They remain of the walls of the council that surrounded the temple and S. O. sides are also preserved, as reported brackets support the roof thereof, embedded in the respective walls.

    It has recently undergone a careful restoration .In the interior are preserved human remains without two cenotaphs of modern times recalling the burial there of Pelayo and his wife.

    The place of worship had served in the past, judging by the idol and there dolmen discovered in the last century. The main chapel appears covered with vault and the capitals of the triumphal arch leads branches and leaves. In the walls of this chapel paintings are appreciated, possibly the fourteenth century.

    In 1905 it stopped being used as a place of worship. By decree of 15 March 1962 it was declared a historic -artistic monument.

    At the foot of the church the tomb of the remains of Roberto Frassinelli ” the German of Corao ” is transferred from the old cemetery.

    Palacio de Noriega

    palacionoriega

    Palatial mansion in typical mountain style, very reformed.

    In it coalesce, housing, block and dependencies for farm implements. Tradition has it that he died Pelayo.

    Parish Church

     

    Elongated plant, with a single nave and transept, vault covers the nave divided into three sections, with arches that were accused in exterior buttresses barrel.

    Casa de Frassinelli

    casafrassinelli

    Named for having lived in it since the middle of last century, Roberto Frassinelli Burnich, ” the German of Corao “.

    Despite the adaptation works, it is its old building media façade, made of square ashlar.

    Cuelebre Cave

    Very close to the house of Frassinelli. Named, according to the reading, being inhabited by a cuélebre. Excavated by Frassinelli appeared in it they remain of the Bronze Age. The stone table where worked “the German of Corao” is preserved.

    Labra

    Torre de Pendás

    This construction dates from the 16th C and was crowned with a four-sided roof, which has been reformed on many occasions.

    Palacio de Soto Cortés

    It responds to classic architecture of the 18th C, with two raised structures joined by another, lower, central structure and is possibly the thinnest and best-conserved in eastern Asturias. At the end of the last century, its owners were able to gather an impressive archaeological collection and library.

    Casa de San Antonio

    The construction is in the form of a house dating from the 18th C with a chapel that was added later.

    Parish Church

    In the shape of a Latin Cross with one nave. The most important part is the main façade in a Historicist style with a semicircular arch used as a decorative element.

    La Olla de San Vicente - Río Dobra

    OllaDeSanVicente

    San Vicente pot is a natural pool formed by the Dobra river in Amieva (Asturias ) and is famous for the emerald green waters with a depth that reaches five meters.

    To get there you have to leave Cangas de Onis towards the port Ponton . Six kilometers later you reach the village of Tornín and once past this , on the left, you will see a path from the beginning the route to the pot.

    More information

  • Real Sitio de Covadonga

    Real Sitio de Covadongacueva

     

    It is one of the most attractive centers of Asturias. There, in 722, he began the reconquest and where according to the chronicles Pelayo defeated the Arabs. Before reaching the shrine, in the field of Repelao, according to tradition, it was proclaimed Pelayo king, as he remembers the obelisk erected by order of the infants of Spain in 1857.

    The visit to the shrine start watching the two lions in Carrara marble. On the left, open on Mount Auseva, the Holy Cave, on the lagoon generated waterfall river Deva; below said waterfall, the Fountain of the Seven Spouts, which the Asturian folk song: “… the baby she d’baby, inside the house Anu.” Fulfilled the rite of drinking at the fountain and throw a coin into the water of the lagoon, the stairs to the right, we reach a small square where the canape times of Carlos III.

    In the cave we went up a staircase of 101 steps that many pilgrims climb knees to enforce the various promises.

    In the cave the image of the Virgin, S. XVIII, which replaces the original, destroyed in a fire in 1777. Her jewelry is are authentic reproduction found in the Museum.

    Surrounding the Virgin are some of the Asturian kings in an exedra that mimics the Asturian Romanesque style by goldsmith Juan Jose Garcia, who also wrote the antependium of the altar in the battle of Covadonga is represented.

    Real Sitio de Covadonga

    In the same cave there are: a small neo-Romanesque chapel, the work of M. Pidal, which replaced the former Camarín; two tombs: that of Alfonso I of Pelayo and his wife Ermesinda Gaudiosa and sister, who were originally buried in Abamia and were transferred here in times of Alfonso X.

    La Colegiata o Casona de Novenas

     

    It is a rectangular building, distributed around a courtyard, with a square tower at one corner and Chapel of San Fernando. It is the oldest building of the Sanctuary, S. XVI; in the cloister that is configured within two tombs of abbots of S. XI they appear. In the aforementioned chapel, they are the Baroque altarpiece from the church of Sta. Maria de Valdediós and the image of the Virgin of the triptych.

    Basílica de Santa María la Real de Covadonga

    Basílica de Santa María la Real de Covadonga

    Located on the hill of Cueto, the final project to the architect Federico Aparici should. Built between 1877 and 1901 in neo – Romanesque style, it has three staggered apses, covered with ridges, crucerías on the cruise and antepresbiterio quarter sphere and in the apses.

    Basílica de Santa María la Real de Covadonga

    On the outside Latin cross is accused , but inside the outriggers disappear because they are occupied by sacristies. Two high forres flanking the west facade which opens in a triple-arched portico.

    Basílica de Santa María la Real de Covadonga

    In the access door are busts of Sanz and Forés and Martinez Vigil, major drivers of the temple, both the sculptor Mariano Benlliure. Inside are on the altar two paintings: The Proclamation of King Pelayo de Madrazo and the Annunciation of Carducho. But the most beautiful is the crypt, designed by Roberto Frasinelli, popularly known as The German of Corao, with an original system of vaults formed by arches highlighted with different centers.

    Telephone Numbers in the Santuario

    • Information: +34985 84 60 35
    • Museum: +34985 94 60 96
    • Civil Guard barracks – Esplanade of the Basilica: +34985 84 60 04
    • www.realsitiodecovadonga.com

    Crazanes

    San Martín’s Church

     

    The church of San Martin is one of the signs of advanced Romanesque style with no less interesting elements of S. XVI.

    Rectangular wooden deck ship and gable , has vaulted apse , somewhat pointed , with triumphal arch , also pointed , which is adorned with simple columns , which carry impost capitals , with stylized vegetal decoration light .

    The church was completely renovated between 1808 and 1809. The cover , located on the south side , it is very interesting and much more modern than the apse and the triumphal arch . Is formed by a semicircular arch , dovelado , decorated with circles and framed in a rectangular frame , highlighted and decorated balls, which seems to be the s . XV.

    A very interesting piece is the baptismal font , located at the foot of the nave, decorated with sawtooth and balls, much like the church of Con.

    The tower

     

    The remains of this building was purchased in 1802 the friars of San Pedro de Villanueva by the parish priest of San Martin. The tower has been dedicated in a house of regional type , it is only visible from the inside.

    Intriago

    The Tower

    La Torre

    Tower and dwelling with three floors, built in the 16th C. Windows with large, rectangular frames, and a sun as a shield. It was probably a stately home belonging to the Intriago family, who came from this town.

    La Corralada

    A rectangular house, with 2 floors in quite a popular style. It has popular paintings on the wall of the corridor. On the threshold is an inscription that reads : “P. made this house”.

    Chapel

    It is built in a popular-style architecture with some variations. Plastered masonry. Dates from the 17th-18th C.

    Villanueva

    Monastery of San Pedro de Villanueva

    Monasterio de San Pedro de Villanueva

    It is thought to have been founded by Alphonse I and it was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1907. It was occupied by monks until 1835, when they abandoned it after their property was disentailed. The monastery and church were not permitted to be sold. The most interesting feature of the monumental building is without doubt the church, which conserves some fine examples of Romanic architecture, although it has been subject to major reforms.

    At some point, the church probably had three naves, but during the 17th C the number was reduced to one and the construction of the solid tower during the same century, caused a great deal of damage to the attractive portal. The existing nave is divided up into three sections by bow arches and the vault is polychromed, with paintings dating from the 18th C. The head of the church is formed by a triple, semicircular apse that is higher in the central part, with barrel vaults at the rectangular sections and four sphere vaults in the semicircular sections. Another gateway existed leading from the cloister to the church, but it is has now been closed off.

    However, it still has the two capitals one on each side of the four it originally had. That portal appears to have been built later than the one already described. One of the most interesting features in the Monastry was the Baptismal Font, which is now exhibited in the National Archaeological Museum. The Monastery is currently occupied by the Parador Nacional of Cangas de Onís.

    San Bartolome Chapel

    From the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It was a leprosarium related to the missing Hospital of Pilgrims from Cangas de Onis. Romanesque style retains the cover, with an undecorated archivolts resting on imposts and jambs.

  • Other towns

    Coviella
    Faes Palace

    Constructed in Baroque style(18th C). It has three storeys and a family coat-of-arms. The building is surrounded by a wall and contains the palace and a large garden.

    Onao
    Casona de los Posada

    16th-17th centuries. The structure was completely modified and only a few Gothic windows of the original building remain.

    Isongo
    Chapel of S. Emeterio or Santumedé

    This is a place for popular worship, located on the left-hand side of the village in a very attractive site. It is square, with a ribbed vault. It has rich pictorial decoration and a way of the cross, and floral motifs.

    Corao – Castillo
    Stately Mansions

    The following are important, but in a poor state of repair: Casa de Cuervo (16th C), Casa de la Cantera (18th C), Casa de los Soto-Labra (18th C) and Casa de Cueto (18th C).

    Coraín
    Casa de los Fernández del Cueto

    This house was built in the 18th C, and is rectangular, and constructed in a simple style. It has been used a barn, and is now in a deplorable state.

    Villaverde
    Church of Santa María de Villaverde

    Iglesia de Santa María de Villaverde

    Of Roman origin, and built during the second half of the 13th C. It was restored in 1790 and 1792, by the Count of Vega del Sella (Manuel Estrada), the patron of this church, who restored it and decorated it.

    During this work, the sacristy was built, the church whitewashed and the images of Santiago and San Antonio were placed inside it.

    The church is formed by a rectangular nave with a bare, sloping wooden roof and an apse with a half-barrel vault. The apse has a door that leads into the sacristy, which was built at the end of the 18th C. The building is completed by a portal that covers the main church door, resting on the west face, where there is a simple belfry with a double opening.

    Con
    Church of San Pedro

    Within the municipality of Cangas de Onís, the church of Con was one of the churches donated by Ramiro II, in the year 926 to the Cathedral of Oviedo. The Roman church is now quite damaged, despite the reform work carried out some years ago.

    It has a rectangular nave with a wooden roof, and a narrow square head that is on a higher level, which was built at a later date.

    Llano de Con
    Chapel of San Roque

    A popular-style chapel, that has one nave with two sections with a wooden roof, a square, vaulted head and a portico on the west face.

    Caño
    Casa de Vega Celis

    A rural house, square in shape, with two storeys and a four-sided roof, built in the Renaissance style, combined with many traditional, popular elements.

    Narciandi
    Chapel of San Cosme and San Damián

    This chapel was recently restored, and important alterations were made. It is set in beautiful surroundings.

    Paroro
    Paroro Mansion or Palace

      The building was constructed at the end of the 18th C. Its most interesting feature is the lateral façade where there are two shields next to the windows with architraves on the top floor.

    Perlleces
    Chapel of San Antonio

    A small building, in a rural design, with one nave and a rectangular presbytery, and a portico.

    La Riera
    Parish church

    Iglesia Parroquial

    A square church built in a popular style of architecture, with one nave and a square presbytery. In front of the church grows a huge yew tree which makes it even more interesting.

    Següenco
    Chapel of San Francisco

    Veneration for the Saint, “San Pachu” goes back to time immemorial.

    Sobrecueva
    Chapel of Santa Eugenia

    Capilla de Santa Eugenia

    Built in the 18th C. A square structure with a four-sided roof.

    Soto de Cangas
    Parish church

    Since the 16th C, a church with one nave with a two-sided wooden roof with a square presbytery covered by a vault with fan tracery.

    Cambre Palace

    The palace has been reformed on many occasions, but it is still possible to discern two styles at the front and back that were used during the 16th C.

    Torre de la Jura

    The tower is more interesting due to its history than in artistic terms, due to its state and the many modifications to which it was subjected. It was very important in political terms.

    Teleña
    Chapel of los Remedios

    It has one nave with no porticoes, and a flat head. It contains an interesting Baroque altar piece and images such as the Virgin and Child on the Throne, and another popular image of Santiago dressed as a pilgrim. The image of San Antonio belongs to a more conventional style.

    Casa de la Puerte

    The house has two floors with four openings along the width of the façade, and is built in the typical style of a rectory. It has an inscription that reads “ABE MARIA” dating from the 17-18th C, and a sun. There is a coat-of-arms on the façade.

Este sitio web usa cookies para mejorar su experiencia. Asumiremos que está de acuerdo con esto, pero puede optar por no hacerlo. Leer más

ACEPTAR
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+
http://cangasdeonis.es/en/municipality/">
YouTube
YouTube
Pinterest
Pinterest
Instagram