In Cangas

  • Roman bridge

     

    Puente Romano

    This is one of the most representative symbols of the region and a Historic-Artistic monument since the year 1931.

    The existing bridge could be the result of the reconstruction of another Roman bridge. It has five arches, three of which are ogival. From the centre arch hangs a reproduction of the Cross of Victory.

    Dolmen

    dolmenThis is a funeral monument A.C. 4000, consists of an artificial mound inside which a sepulchral chamber composed of several slabs of stones. It is located inside the Chapel of Santa Cruz.

    Statue of Don Pelayo

    pelayoIn the small garden in front of the church a sculpture of a warrior Pelayo is located; work of Felix Alonso.

    Cultural hall of the Kingdom of Asturias

     

    reino de asturias

    What is now known as Cultural Hall of the Kingdom of Asturias is, in fact, the church of Santa María of Cangas de Onis, old parish church in the village until the construction of the present church of the Assumption in 1963.

    Rehabilitated in 2000, it hosts since 2006 the exhibition and audiovisual mounting of the Kingdom of Asturias.

    The building dates from the sixteenth century, a time of retaining its head expanding twice in the following centuries.

    Plaza del Mercado

    plazamercado

    Formed by two structures at right angles to each other, with a tower forming the angle. It is inspired by traditional Asturian models, with segmental arches on trunk-conical shaped pillars.

    Sunday market all year is held.

  • Chapel of Santa Cruz

    Ermita de la Santa Cruz

    Located in Contranquil, it is great historic value, due to the year in which it was built, on a dolmen, in 437.  The chapel was rebuilt by King Favila in 737 for the safekeeping of the Cross of Victory, and it is thought that it was used as a tomb. The most recent reconstruction work was done after the Civil War and the dolmen, dating from 3000 years B.C., was uncovered. The stone blocks on the sides are cut from this dolmen.

    Parish church of Cangas de Onís

    iglesia_parroquial

    It is located on the site of the house where Vázquez de Mella was born, which was the site of the former Town Hall, and was built in 1963.

    The building has three naves, a large transept and a tower of 33m, crowned by a belfry with three storeys.

    The windows are made of French Maumejean glass and inside are paintings by the Asturian artist Casimiro Baragaña.

    Timetable and contact: click here

    Chapel of San Antonio

    capilla_san_antonio

    It is located in the area of Cangas de Arriba. Surround of ancient oak trees.

    It houses the image of San Antonio, patron of the town of Cangas de Onis .

    Constructed in the 16th C and reformed in the 19th C. It has a porticoed atrium with porticoes in the Tuscan style, a large transept, a single nave and a square head section.

    It is the place where is celebrated the local holiday day on 13th June.

    Pintu Palace

    palaciupintu

    This was built during this century and is a copy of another one dating from the 17th C.

    It is formed by three storeys, separated by stone imposts.

    Inside is a sculpture of the politician Vázquez de Mella, by Gerardo Zaragoza.

    It currently houses the Offices of the Treasury.

    Casa Dago

    casagago

     

     

    This building currently houses the offices of the National Reserve of Picos de Europa. It is an information point for visitors.

    Its architecture is based on the mountain-style type and it was built in 1920. The gateway has a series of arches, an open gallery and broad eaves. Other interesting buildings are those of Avenida de Castilla and Avenida de Covadonga.

Este sitio web usa cookies para mejorar su experiencia. Asumiremos que está de acuerdo con esto, pero puede optar por no hacerlo. Leer más

ACEPTAR
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+
http://cangasdeonis.es/en/in-cangas-2/">
YouTube
YouTube
Pinterest
Pinterest
Instagram